Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dinning Room


Mood board for the dinning room



My desperate attempt to be bold was made possible in this room with Steve's blessing. I have chosen  bright yellow as my new 'turquoise'. With that thought, I will use the Eames yellow chairs which goes perfectly with Steve's painting of monks.

(I can't remember the name of the artist but you can check with  Torrizaka Art Gallery from where we bought this. They are a great Tokyo based gallery with an extensive on-line list. The pricing is 20-30% cheaper than buying them from galleries in Hong Kong. They specialize in Vietnamese arts.)


I will use the Cecilie Manz pendant in black as seen in this mood board, above the dinning table. I am not big on lighting so these are the only new investment I will have for this project.

Another 'bold' features here is the dark full length cabinet, standing on one end of the dinning room area. This will join the shoe cabinet in the hallway to form an L shape. We will leave an empty space between the upper and lower cabinet for display of pictures and other pretty things.


A word about build-in cabinet.

In Hong Kong you tend to find a lot of build-in storage and furniture given the limited space we have. Build-in furniture allows one to maximize the space. I have always just stick with white in the past to be on the safe side. I am going to try different color this time around and was made aware of the fact that laminate will be a good material to use. They have certainly came a long way and are no longer just a cheap plastic paper with photograph of woods. The texture and the color looks nearly as good as real, and sometimes even more creatively better. I am of course yet to see the final result but I am feeling quite confident about it.

Here are a few examples:


















No comments:

Post a Comment